Bonclarken

BONCLARKEN BUILDINGS

Agape Cottage | 10 York Ridge Lane | 2002
One of our six youth cottages located on the “turf”, Agape boasts space for 44 to sleep in four bunkrooms and a counselor room. Each bunkroom has its own bathroom suite. Two commons areas round out the cottage’s features and one commons area is furnished with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker.

Alamo/Campground | 55 Campers Circle Drive
Located on the lower campus between the pool and the climbing tower, the campground features 27 camping spots—a mix of RV, popup camper, and RV spots. Each spot features water and 30 amp electrical service and some spots also provide sewer access. Campground amenities also include a bathhouse, a laundry facility, and a dump station.

Back Porch | 703 Kinross Drive | 2019
Located between the Youth Activity Building and the recreation areas, the Back Porch features a spacious covered patio with comfortable outdoor furniture and seating for up to 30 in the indoor classroom. Amenities include a small kitchenette and dual televisions for video presentations.

Balsam Cottage | 97 Sycamore Drive
Balsam Cottage provides living quarters for Bonclarken permanent and summer staff.

Bigger Lodge | 99 Sycamore Drive | 1959 (renovated 1999)
Bigger Lodge features a large meeting area and housing for 18 in nine guest rooms on two separate floors. Each floor is served by its own bathroom suite. In the summer, Bigger Lodge plays home to our summer staff.

Chapel | 110 Kirkmoor Lane | 1961
The beautiful center for worship at Bonclarken is called the Chapel. Offering seating for up to 400, the Chapel facilities include an organ, piano, choir loft, and audio systems.

Convocation Hall | 115 Heidelberg Lane | 1976
Featuring meeting space for up to 300 with a small stage area and AV equipment, Convocation is great for large gatherings. Use of the full commercial rental kitchen is available upon request. In the summertime, Convocation Hall serves as the dining hall for Camp Joy and Camp Bonclarken.

Draffin Hall | 38 West Kirkmoor Lane | 1939
With six classroom-style rooms, Draffin serves as an ideal location for children’s and youth programs. Each classroom can seat up to 30, with table, chairs, wall-mounted televisions, and writing boards. Draffin Hall today contains classrooms but was built in 1939 as Bonclarken’s first chapel. Before then, worship services were held in the old barn, which is where the Upper Gym is today. Contributions for Draffin were made by Dr. and Mrs. C.B. Draffin and Dr. E.C. Draffin of Columbia

Faith Apartments | 400 Pine Drive | 1991 (renovated 2022)
Opened in 1991 and renovated in 2022, these six townhouse style apartments are perfect for families, as they feature a full kitchen and sleeping space for six.

Founders Hall | 475 Pine Drive | 1991 (renovated 2019)
Founders Hall opened in 1991 and boasts 28 guest rooms and the Jean White Room, an beautiful meeting space for up to 100 guests. Garrison Hall was formerly on this site, the first building constructed at Bonclarken after it was acquired by the A.R.P. Church. Completed in 1923, Garrison Hall was funded in part by Dr. and Mrs. J.M. Garrison.

Founders South (formerly The Motel) | 395 Pine Drive | 1967 (renovated 2015)
Completed in 1967 and fully renovated in 2015, Founders South provides sixteen rooms with private baths. Drive-up parking and ground-level access for each room makes Founders South an ideal facility for adults and families.
Located on the upper campus behind Founders Hall, Founders South is a short walk from the Young Lodge, the Chapel, Faith Apartments, Ministers Apartments, and the Dining Hall.

Headspring Pavilion | 2001
Located adjacent to Bonclarken Lake, the Headspring Pavilion offers a covered picnic area and also serves as the Bonclarken boathouse.

Heidelberg Hotel | 500 Pine Drive | 1886
Dr. and Mrs. Arthur Rose Guerard, a French-German couple, moved from Charleston to the Flat Rock area in 1886 and built the house. Overlooking Highland Lake, the house included gardens with many varieties of European and American shrubs and trees. The original house was the section behind the porch area trimmed in stained glass. The tower to the right was added in 1893. In 1902, the middle section was added (currently the gift shop area), and in 1903, the east wing and second tower were built to serve as a girls’ school. Historic features of the Hotel include the inlaid floors and intricate woodwork. Many of the mantels and tile surrounds were imported from Europe, as was the archway in the main hall. The front porch is a favorite gathering place for all who visit Bonclarken.

Janeens #1 & 2 (formerly Terrace Apts) | 9 York Ridge Lane | 1960 (renovated)
Originally known and loved as Terrace Apartments, Janeens #1 & 2 each sleep up to 20 campers and each features two bunkrooms, a counselor room, and a bathroom suite. Janeens is located on the “turf” opposite Agape and York Cottages.

Lucy-Lynn Cottage | 2010
Renovated in 2010 to house 18 campers, Lucy-Lynn Cottage is the most recently-built of our six youth cottages. Located at the end of the “turf”, Lucy-Lynn Cottage is named in memory of Mrs. Lucy Patrick and in honor of Miss Lynn Grimsley.

Maryalice Cottage | 116 Mary Alice Lane | 1992
Maryalice Cottage opened in 1992 and was given in honor of Maryalice Chesnut. This log cottage is ideal as a meeting space for up to 50. Amenities include a small kitchenette and a large screen television for video and computer presentations. Guests of all ages love Maryalice Cottage and it is often used for children’s programs.

Memorial Hall | 17 East Kirkmoor Lane | 1949
Memorial Hall was built in 1949 to provide badly needed housing to accommodate Bonclarken’s growth. Built through the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. E.D. Ellis, it was named for all those that served as directors of Bonclarken. This building can accommodate groups of up to 73. Most of the rooms have twin beds and share connecting bathrooms; several rooms with queen beds and private baths are also available. Each room has its own heating and air-conditioning unit.
The lobby of Memorial Hall has a comfortable sitting area ideal for small groups or breakouts. The basement features two full classrooms, excellent for small group breakout sessions.

Ministers Apartments | 390 Pine Drive | 1928
Minister’s Cottage was built in 1928 by E.C. Stuart to provide apartments for the use of ministers and their families for conferences and vacations. Now open to all, this quaint facility is still a favorite location for some of our guests.
All of the apartments have two bedrooms, a fully-equipped kitchen, one full private bath and share a common living area furnished with couches, easy chairs, and a large table.

Nibble Nook | 490 Pine Drive | 1960
A favorite of all ages, the Nibble Nook is open from Memorial Day through the second week in August and serves a variety of delicious snacks and beverages. Summer nights at the Nibble Nook often echo with the joyful voices our guests fellowshipping, singing songs at Nibble Nook devotions, or dancing and singing with George at Camp Joy.

Recreation Building | 102 Kinross Drive | 1969
This is a versatile room good for numerous activities, with carpeted risers and plenty of space for learning and arts and crafts activities. The Rec Building is a short walk from the youth cottages and ideal space for mid-sized youth groups.

Swiss Cottage | 480 Pine Drive | 1902
The Swiss Cottage is one of the most interesting buildings at Bonclarken. Built by the Guerard Family in 1902, it served as a playhouse for their children. The wide roof overhangs supported by brackets and the small tower is interesting features. There is a cellar that originally used to store food. The Swiss Cottage is currently used for office space.

Synodical Hall | 105 Kirkmoor Lane | 1970
Synodical Hall was built in 1970 by the ARP Women of the Church and is owned by ARP Women’s Ministries. This lovely facility serves as a meeting place during conferences and many other events on the grounds. Attractively decorated, Synodical Hall accommodates up to 75 guests for formal and informal gatherings. Board meetings and adult retreats work perfectly in Synodical. Wifi Internet access is available in this building.

The Young Lodge | 345 Pine Drive | 2008
Named in memory of Mrs. Gladys Young and in honor of Mrs. Joy Young, the Young Lodge features 35 guest rooms and the 3,600 square foot Mike and Lib Patrick Conference Room. Furnishings in each room in the Young Lodge include queen-size beds, a large dresser, a nightstand, and a writing table with two comfortable wing chairs. The Young Lodge is also equipped with special needs accessibility features including wheelchair ramps, wide doors, roll-in showers, and other features to ensure accessibility for those who have limited mobility.

Upper Gym | 100 Sycamore Drive | 1954
From dodgeball to basketball to volleyball to Camp Joy Special Olympics, the Upper Gym serves as the venue for many fierce camp competitions. Located near the tennis court and the Recreation Building, this open-air facility also provides bleacher seating for those who prefer to spectate.

White Oak Cottage | 17 York Ridge Lane | 1998
The first of the “new” youth cottages to be built, White Oak Cottages offers sleeping quarters for 39 in three bunkrooms and one counselor room. Each bunkroom and the counselor room have a private bathroom suite. Located on the “turf”, White Oak is in the heart of the lower campus and convenient to recreation activities and the Youth Activity Building.

York Cottage | 8 York Ridge Lane | 2001
York Cottage is the sixth of the youth cottages on our list and houses up to 26 campers in three bunkrooms and one counselor room. Like the other cottages, York provides a commons area and a generous porch furnished with rocking chairs.

Youth Activity Building | 701 Kinross Drive | 1999
A modern 19,000 square foot facility that can easily seat 1,000 guests for very large gatherings or can be partitioned for use of groups of 50 or more, the Youth Activity Building is a perfect for large group meeting space. The building is multi-purpose and can also be used for basketball or indoor activities, and includes a walking track, game room, kitchen, and full AV service.

 

OUR MISSION:

“To provide and promote a Christian environment for inspiration and renewal, worship, education, fellowship, and recreation by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

What Our Guests Are Saying

We have been holding our events at Bonclarken for over 15 years and they always make sure that none of our plans have changed. They take care of every detail so that our event goes off perfectly.

We have been holding our events at Bonclarken for over 15 years and they always make sure that none of our plans have changed. They take care of every detail so that our event goes off perfectly.